kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Hounded - Kevin Hearne I could use this "Review" field as a letter to Kevin Hearne to let him know how awesome Hounded is. Since I already did that on Twitter, I'm going to let YOU know how awesome Hounded is.

I read quite a few reviews of this book, and I will honestly say my expectations were VERY high. That is never a good thing for me to carry into a book with me. I must say that I still managed to be impressed with Mr. Hearne's debut novel. Here are a few things that stood out for me:

1) His characters are well-researched. Mr. Hearne knows his business, which is good since he's using "real" deities in his books (yes, there will be more!). It also gives the mortal characters a certain relatability because he has taken time to make a backstory for them. Well, except for the witches perhaps, but I'll forgive him for that since there are two more books coming out this summer.

2) There are an abundance of pop culture references! There is a little bit thrown in for everyone. By everyone, I mean people like me because the rest of you do not matter. Just kidding. Kinda. Anyway, his characters fit into the modern world because they like MODERN things. And Atticus is a bit of a sexy dork, not unlike myself.

3)The plot is woven intelligently well. By this I mean that everything ties together so far. One thing leads to another without being too predictable. Mr. Hearne wrapped up Hounded quite well, but left a nice lead-in for Hexed.

All of that being said, I will HAVE Hexed the day it comes out, even if I have to go to Barnes & Noble's storage room myself to find it. This is coming from the lady who waits until either the library has it or can get it for 50ยข at a garage sale. I expect Mr. Hearne will be around quite a while. And his little dog, too.