kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Silver-Tongued Devil - Jaye Wells In Silver-Tongued Devil by Jaye Wells, we find our heroine, Sabina Kane, in a bit of a rut. The immediate threat of war is no longer hanging over her head. She’s living happily with her loved ones in an apartment in New York City. Life should be good right? As a former vampire assassin living on bagged blood and afterglow, things are getting a bit stagnant for Sabina, not to mention the guilt she feels about what happened to Maisie in New Orleans. Luckily for her, a murder investigation gives her and the crew (with some new faces from Los Angeles) an interesting distraction.

I love this book. Instead of drolly wandering into Happily Ever After as the series progresses, the characters experience the consequences regarding the events and changes in their lives, be it positive or negative. One of the most interesting things to me is the complete 180 – and almost complete switch – of Sabina and Maisie’s personalities (that’s all I’ll say). No one catches a break, and everyone has to face their destinies. The book does not feel like a finale lead-up in the slightest, and is such an exciting read. There is a shocking twist at the end (okay, there are some in the middle, too), but it was completely necessary for the story line.

I am anxious for the release of Blue-Blooded Vamp in July to find out how everything turns out in the Sabina Kane universe.

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received the book for free through NetGalley from the publisher. It in no way affected the outcome of my review.