kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Perfect Ruin - Lauren DeStefano This past summer, I have been approximately 0-4 in figuring out books from their synopsis. I think I may have a terrible habit of making assumptions. An intervention may be needed. Anywho, the main thing I was expecting was a love triangle, but no need to worry - there is not one here. *dances around madly*

I think it goes without saying that Lauren DeStefano is a wordsmith and worldweaver, and she can make all the things sound pretty. Err... Read pretty. So, Perfect Ruin wasn't the first trek into DeStefano works for me, but I stopped with Wither in The Chemical Garden trilogy, despite loving it. But that's a story for another day. I liked Morgan a lot more than Rhine, and I thought the worldbuilding was easier to sink into because it wasn't as dark. (Don't think there's not darkness - there's a lot of people stuck on one little island.) I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you loved The Chemical Garden trilogy, Perfect Ruin won't disappoint.

Now the story in Perfect Ruin itself is very much a coming of age story for Morgan. Sure, there is a murder and a Jumper brother, but they're just tools that accelerate Morgan's questioning of All The Things. (She would have done so without them, I think.) Is it right that the government to determine when and to whom children are born? Should couples be betrothed from birth? What is really beyond the edge? Those are just a few things that kept coming up in the story. She's lucky to have her best friend, Pen, and betrothed, Basil, who are so understanding and accepting of everything about her. Her parents are pretty awesome, too. Oh, and Lex and Alice. Well, that's more about the characters than the story, but I don't want to give anything away. If you have assumptions about this book, I want them to be blasted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this book is really good, and you should probably read it. That's all I'm giving away.

- 4.5/5 Stars

~*~A review that makes more sense will be coming on Bibliophilia, Please closer to the release date. Maybe.

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received an advance copy of the book briefly for reviewing purposes through Around the World ARC Tours in exchange for an honest review. The book was likely provided to the tour by the publisher or author, which has in no way affected the outcome of my review. All opinions expressed are rambling, honest, and completely my own.