kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Si-cology 1: Tales and Wisdom from Duck Dynasty's Favorite Uncle - Si Robertson Review orginally posted on Bibliophilia, Please.

Okay, I think now is the time to admit it - I watch Duck Dynasty. I'm not a die-hard fan of the show, but I've progressed from a fan-by-default (Mister and Bug love it) to someone who looks forward to the show each week. Trust me when I say that it sneaks up on you. Si Robertson is pretty much the sole reason that I watch the show, and his book did not disappoint the fan in me.

Si Robertson is crazy, and I mean that in the most respectful and positive way possible. He has a no-holds-barred sense of humor, and he comes across as a person who does not care what other people think about him. I guess if you spent most of your childhood running around naked and with six older siblings (five of them brothers), you can't really pay too much heed to what people say/think. Si is also a veteran and devout Christian. He tells stories about all of that, as well as about hunting and fishing, in Si-Cology in such a way that would have me snorting as I tried not to laugh out loud.

Si and the other Robertson boys (and Phil's wife, Kay) grew up near where I lived, so I knew a lot of the stories already. However, Si-Cology gave a new depth to Si that I've never seen on Duck Dynasty or heard about from his old schoolmates. Some of the chapters had me laughing from mishaps in the woods, but his stories about Vietnam and the fertility problems he and his wife showed a different side of Si. Though I would feel a little down for him one minute, the next thing I knew, I'd be laughing again.

I would mostly only recommend Si-Cology to fans of the show, hunters and fishers, or people from my area, but I think it is a book that anyone could enjoy. It was a very fast read for me, and it never got boring. Each chapter was only a few pages, so even the most reluctant of readers would have a good time reading the book. I preordered my copy of Si-Cology ages ago, I'll also be getting the audiobook for Mister and I. I think there will be a new dimension to the book with Si reading it, and I look forward to it though I've already read the book.

- 3.5/5 Stars -

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received an digital copy of the book for reviewing purposes from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way affected the outcome. All opinions expressed are rambling, honest, and completely my own.