kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
A Long, Long Sleep - Anna Sheehan Review originally posted on Bibliophilia, Please.

Rose Fitzroy woke in a time not her own. She had been placed in stasis and was forgotten for sixty-two years. Along with facing the overwhelming loss of everyone and everything that she used to know and love, Rose is forced to adjust to her new life as a multi-planet and multi-billion dollar corporation. The real truth behind her situation is layered in such a way that all of it is not revealed until the last pages. Who really is Rose Fitzroy? Why was she forgotten for so long?

I did not think that I would like Rose at first. She was so weak and accepting of being pushed around in her new world. Hell, she didn't even want to tell her foster mother that someone had tried to kill her because she didn't want to be a bother! HOWEVER, as I got to know Rose and her situation better, my heart went out to her and was broken. There are other characters in the book, but Rose is so completely at the forefront that hey merely shine lights on facets of her life. Xavier is the boy who was left behind and had loved her his whole life (and she him). Bren woke Rose out of stasis and showed her nothing but kindness, taking her under his wing at school. Otto... Well, Otto was a bit of a surprise in all things and proved to be my favorite supporting character.

As for the world-building, it's quite easy to believe there is a giant corporation that owns almost everything *cough* Amazon *cough* and it makes since that it would be the pioneer of colonizing moons and planets in our solar system. The history of the company and what happened while Rose slept was fascinating and realistic. The Dark Days were terrible and the pace in which the information was given merged perfectly with Rose's changing life.

A Long, Long Sleep is an excellent example of what YA novels have to offer readers, and I recommend it to lovers of science fiction and/or fairy tales of any age. Fans of Cinder will adore A Long, Long Sleep, and I have already been pushing it into people's hands. If you've read this far down into the review, do yourself a favor and read A Long, Long Sleep.