kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Prophecy Girl - Cecily White Review originally posted on Bibliophilia, Please.

Prophecy Girl has all of the makings of a book that I'd love - initially. Cecily White has a delightful sense of humor that saturates the novel. It is a paranormal story set in New Orleans that nods to other supernatural works. Amelie Bennett, the protagonist, is snarky, stubborn, and just has something special about her that I cannot put my finger on, but I know that I would like to see it in more heroines. However, the issues that I had with White's debut clouded my enjoyment.

Firstly, let me say that I didn't not like any of the characters. They were just the problem. It was really difficult for me to remember them from scene to scene. I could recall the name of the school's Queen Bee and clique member, but I had a hard time remembering the more important characters and what their roles were. I kept going back in the book to refresh myself on who people were. It is very rare that I have to do this when I'm reading. Prophecy Girl had enough twists that this was a pretty major problem for me.

There was, of course, a romance in the novel. I had some mixed feelings about it, but I think Ami handled it as well as could be expected. She was very honest about her feelings, and she called Jack on his bulls--- when he dished it out. (Why can't more heroines do this?!) I will say that I do NOT like the whole teacher-student romance, even if they are close in age. I think anyone who is in a position of authority over their partner, especially a younger one, creates a lot of issues, and it's just wrong when a teacher is involved. But I won't rant because it wasn't terribly offensive. Jack was a substitute teacher for all of five minutes, so I just squinted my eyes at it a little and kept reading.

Though I had a hard time enjoying the book as thoroughly as I think I could have, it was still a pretty good read. Cecily White is an author that I'll most definitely be keeping my eye on in the future, and I can't wait to read books with her fantastic writing style. I will try to read Prophecy Girl again because the positive aspects of the book are definitely worth it.

- 2.5/5 Stars -

*To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received an ecopy of the book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. It has in no way affected the outcome. All opinions expressed are rambling, honest, and completely my own.