kaylabeck

Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Eternal - H.G. Nadel Review originally posted at Bibliophilia, Please

Everyone has a guilty pleasure, and romance novels are one of mine. They aren't always my thing, but sometimes they serve as a really great palate cleanser to prevent burnout from all of the science fiction and fantasy that I read. H.G. Nadel's Eternal was exactly the book that I've been needing.

Eternal is about a young girl named Julia who has just lost her mother and is working as a summer intern/research assistant at a forensic pathology lab in California. The book reminds me of M.J. Rose's The Reincarnationist series because of the strange dreams the main character, Julia, has about a girl in medieval times who looks just like her. These dreams begin to occur after an accident in the lab with her mentor, Dr. Bertel, and her meeting Detective Austin Moore, who is working the case. There is a bit of mystery and suspense in the novel surrounding the strange circumstances of Dr. Bertel's disappearance from the hospital and the strange attacks on Julia that begin to occur.

I'll be upfront with you - yes, there is the instalove, but I think you can gather that for yourself from the book's synopsis. However, I don't hate it like most people when I'm fully aware of what I'm getting from the start. It's romance - they're going to fall in love at some point in the novel. Eternal's romance was sweet and clean, so there weren't any raunchy scenes for me to skip over. (Thank Bob!)

As for the writing of Eternal, I first have to admit that it is one of the best independent novels that I've ever read. However, it did have some of the flaws that sometimes pop up in a debut. There were some scenes that felt a bit clunky, but they were few. I think it had to do with the transitioning from danger to safety, but it was nothing so terrible that it completely threw off the pacing of the novel. (I was able to read the whole book in two sittings.) Nadel shows a lot of promise, and I will be looking into more of her work in the future.

All in all, Eternal was a very enjoyable YA romance, and fans of the genre will likely adore the novel. It is the right combination of romance, mystery, betrayal, and suspense that will keep readers engaged and turning the pages.

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received a copy of the book from TLC Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. It has in no way affected the outcome. All opinions expressed are rambling, honest, and completely my own.