kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Skyfall - Michael Dahl Skyfall is the latest in Michael Dahl’s impressive body of work that consists of over a hundred books for children and young adults. This particular story is a thrilling adventure with monsters that is aimed at the junior high age group, but enjoyable for all ages. While the juvenile market is always saturated with fairy tale creatures, Dahl’s latest is reminiscent of both Stephen King and Tolkien, but for a younger audience.

The story revolves around what happens to the residents of Zion Falls during the night of the Draconid meteor shower, and centers on four friends: Pablo, Louise, Zak, and Thora. Chaos erupts, forcing them to depend upon each other, and surprise allies in order to endure what the night has in store for them. Their own intelligence, and quick thinking is also paramount their survival.

Skyfall embodies everything that makes me love juvenile fiction. It is fast-paced, exhilarating, full of fun characters, and cleverly nods to other sci-fi works. There were times that I was scared enough by the monsters, and their tricks that I almost had to put the book down despite reading adult horror on a regular basis. (Disclaimer: I am a wimp.) Dahl’s world building is exciting, and puts a new spin on age-old mythological creatures. He executed the story in such a way that I have just as many questions about the world he built at the end of the story, as I did as I did in the beginning. It left me ravenous for more. I loved Skyfall, and I cannot wait until I can get my hands on the next book in the series.

To satisfy FTC guidelines, I am disclosing that I received the book for free through NetGalley from the publisher. It in no way affected the outcome of my review.