kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Linger - Maggie Stiefvater Linger is the sequel to Shiver and second in Maggie Stiefvater's The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy. Where Shiver focused on Sam and Grace finding each other and a way to be together, Linger is their fight to keep what they have. Cole and Isabel's points of view are added to the narration of the story, with each trying to find a way out of their personal darkness.

Sam and Grace's story is a basic "teenage angst" love story, except with a paranormal element. The world (i.e. Grace's parents) is trying to keep them apart, and they're doing everything possible to keep their love alive forever. The catch is that Grace is sick and believes that she must be dying. Cole is a young man with a past, and Sam does not believe that he is right for the pack, questioning Beck's decision to turn him. Isabel is still grappling with the death of her brother and finding herself drawn to Cole.

I enjoyed the book more than I did Shiver. I did not intend to read it as it does not exactly fall into my genres of choice, but I ended up with the audiobook. The addition of Cole and Isabel telling part of the story was really worthwhile. They are the two most interesting characters in the book, and they provided a nice break from Sam and Grace's angst and rebellion. There were more twists and turns in this book, but they were mostly predictable. However, I must admit that I checked the book out from the library because the audiobook was not going quickly enough. Since Linger was so much better than Shiver, I will almost assuredly be finishing the series by reading Forever.