kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
Destined - Jessie Harrell Destined by Jessie Harrell is a historical/mythological romance with a modern twist based on the story of Eros (aka Cupid in Roman mythology) and Psyche. The characters speak and behave in a way to which young adults will find easy to absorb and relate. It is a fast-paced, easy read that will interest the female readers of Percy Jackson who are looking for that extra dash of romance.

For me, it was a nice bite of cotton candy after some really intense reading that I've been doing lately. The only problem that I had with the story was a few uses of the Roman names when the book is supposed to be about the Greek myth (and uses mostly Greek names). Sure, it also strayed from the original story a bit, but reinventing an old tale can be fun and not many Greek love stories are set up for Happily Ever After.

Despite being a history major with a sometime mythology obsession, I was able to really let go and have fun with the book. The characters were too adorable to give me a chance to be nit-picky, and Harrell's writing really flowed across the page. I also appreciate the research that the author did on the various aspects of this legend and others related to it. It was a cute story that I am glad to have read.