kaylabeck

Playing Possum
Nicola Barber, Angela Dawe, Natalie Ross, Charlaine Harris, Amanda Ronconi
Aunty Lee's Delights: A Singaporean Mystery
Ovidia Yu
A Touch Mortal - Leah Clifford Leah Clifford’s A Touch Mortal is a simply wonderful Young Adult novel. The Urban Fantasy genre has gotten quite crowded in the past decade, but Clifford’s debut novel still manages to stand out. She did not choose to go with the ever-popular choice – vampires and werewolves – but chose instead to throw together zombies and angels.

We begin the novel with Eden, our heroine, as a flawed teenager, bored with life and contemplating suicide until she meets the two friends, Az and Gabe. There is something different about the two young men, but then again, she’s not quite normal herself.

The plot twists, turns and flips upside-down as we watch Eden adjust to her new life and fight her inner (and outer?) demons. I read the book in less than a day, and it left me yearning for more. I must also mention that the beautiful cover art by Paul Zakris is genius. I spent probably ten minutes savoring the outside of the book alone. Not only is the young girl on the front cover gorgeous, but what you do not see on the back just catches the essence of the book. A Touch Mortal by Leah Clifford is the total package for a good read.